Creamy White Chicken Chili
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
I first tried this recipe back in 2010 at a chili cook-off we had at church. It was AWESOME! I had never tried a white chili before & I love creamy white sauces/soups, so this was a real winner for me. There were two gals that brought a white chicken chili to that cook-off & so I asked both of them for their recipes & ironically enough, they were the SAME exact recipe! Haha!
I have been searching for the original owner of the recipe & have come up blank. Every white chicken chili you search is basically this recipe, so I decided to source Taste of Home b/c they had a nice picture & a printable version if you want to click on the link I have. The way I have it typed is basically the same, but I use less chicken, & tried to lighten up the calories a tad using light sour cream, but kept the full heavy cream which makes this recipe 259 calories per cup.
- 12 oz (2 to 3) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 (15.5oz) cans great northern beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 (14.5oz) can low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (4oz) cans diced green chiles
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (red pepper)
- 1 cup (8oz) light sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (or half & half)
- In a large saucepan, saute the chicken, onion & garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add beans, broth, chiles & seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in sour cream & cream.
- *Substitute 1 can of fat free evaporated milk for the sour cream & heavy cream. Tastes just as good with less calories & fat.