It’s day 10 of the 12 days of Christmas Sweets, can you believe it? When the girl scouts come around I always buy two boxes of cookies: thin mints, & samoas! So when I saw this recipe I knew I had to make it. I need something to get me through until the girl scouts come knocking at my door during cookie season, & this recipe is it! Plus it’s really pretty & makes a lot! It works great for neighbor gifts. I hope you like it & come back tomorrow! I am not done baking yet!
- 12 oz (1 bag) semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 35-40 shortbread cookies (I used Stauffers & it had 35 exactly)
- 11 oz caramel bits (or 14oz bag squares)
- 2 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 Tbsp water (3 Tbsp if using 14oz of squares)
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Set aside.
- Save 2 oz of chocolate chips & set aside. Melt the remaining 10 oz of semi-sweet chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave on half power for 30 second intervals. Spread the melted chocolate to your desired thickness (kind of thin like ¼".)
- Top the warm chocolate evenly with your shortbread cookies. The closer together, the easier it is to top with the caramel-coconut mixture. Place baking sheet in the freezer while you do the next steps.
- In a non-stick skillet on medium-low heat, toast your coconut, stirring occasionally. This will take about 10 minutes or so, but be watchful because once it starts to brown it happens quickly & you do not want to burn the coconut! When the coconut is toasted, set aside.
- Meanwhile melt your caramel bits with 2 Tbsp of water over medium-low heat in a non-stick saucepan. Stir constantly until just melted (it will get hard if you cook it longer.) Turn heat off & remove pan from heat immediately. Add coconut & fold gently.
- Remove your chocolate from the freezer & spread the caramel-coconut mixture evenly on top.
- Melt your remaining 2 oz of chocolate in the microwave on half power for 30 second intervals until melted. Drizzle over the top. (I put mine in a plastic bag, cut the corner & squeeze it over the top for more even results.)
- Put back in the freezer for 5 minutes to set the chocolate. Cut & enjoy! Store in an airtight container.
© DESSERT NOW DINNER LATER All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-create the recipe, snap YOUR OWN PHOTO and re-write the recipe in YOUR OWN WORDS, or link back to this post for the recipe.