I love any excuse to make my favorite BEST Taco Meat Ever! This is fun spin off of a regular taco. Plus, you can take it over the top with homemade nacho cheese sauce! My kids devoured this meal. I think the tator tots had a lot to do with it, but I loved the combination of everything.
Tator Tot Tacos with Homemade Nacho Cheese Sauce
- 1 (24oz) pkg tator tots or rounds
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sour cream
Homemade Nacho Cheese Sauce::
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup shredded cheese (any kind that melts good: white cheddar, mild/medium cheddar, pepper jack, etc)
- 1/4 + tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 + tsp chili powder
- 1 (4oz) can diced green chiles
- Shredded Lettuce
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Slice Olives
- Prepare tator tots according to package directions. While tator tots cook, prepare taco meat.
- TACO MEAT: Brown the ground beef/turkey & drain off excess grease (unnecessary if using ground turkey.) Add the tomato sauce, taco seasoning, & brown sugar. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in sour cream & keep warm.
- NACHO CHEESE SAUCE: Melt butter & add flour forming a roux. Gradually add milk; whisk continuously until dissolved. Add seasonings & green chiles. Continue whisking occasionally until mixture comes to a boil & thickens up. Remove from heat & add cheese. Stir until melted. Adjust seasonings & keep warm. I kept mine very mild for my kids, so if you like it spicy, add more spices.
- TO SERVE: Layer tots, meat, nacho cheese sauce, lettuce, shredded cheese, sour cream & olives.
© DESSERT NOW DINNER LATER All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-create the recipe, snap YOUR OWN PHOTO and re-write the recipe in YOUR OWN WORDS, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Recipe inspired from Real Mom Kitchen