Zesty Baked Chicken Taquitos
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
**This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #JustAddRotel #CollectiveBias
I know there is a big basketball event coming up, and when most people watch sports tournaments they want some good food to munch on. Well, I may not watch the games, but I can help you with the food! These Zesty Baked Chicken Taquitos are simple to throw together and have an added ingredient, that I think, makes these top notch!
This special ingredient is peaking through the guacamole that it’s served with too…
Have I given you enough hints?! Okay, okay! It’s RO*TEL!
One of my favorite party dips is the original Famous Queso dip recipe using RO*TEL and Velveeta! I may have even put that dip on a burger. So I thought it would be a great idea to use the RO*TEL to spice up some creamy chicken taquitos! And I was right! Head to Walmart and grab a few cans. You’ll want this Buy 3 get 1 FREE coupon to take with you! Find the RO*TEL in the aisle with the canned vegetables and other diced tomatoes.
This exclusive RO*TEL coupon is good (while supplies) until April 6th so download and use yours TODAY!
Your basketball friends will love coming to watch the game at your house with you when you serve these delicious Zesty Baked Chicken Taquitos! All you need is cooked shredded chicken (we used rotisserie chicken for ours), some spices, lime juice, shredded cheese, cream cheese, tortillas, and RO*TEL. You will also need some cooking spray or olive oil and a pastry brush to help the taquitos crisp up while baking. Grab a couple of avocados and half of a lemon for the guacamole dip too.
Stir up the chicken mixture, spread it on a tortilla and roll it up tightly. This recipe makes 8 to 10 taco sized flour tortilla taquitos (say that 5x fast!), depending on how much you fill them. I like to cut mine in half after they are baked, so you get 16 to 20 servings.
Cover a baking sheet with foil. Spray the foil with some cooking spray or brush it with olive oil and put the taquitos seam side down. Then brush or spray the tops of the taquitos and sprinkle them with salt. Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes, flip them over, and bake 5 minutes more, so both sides get crispy and lightly browned.
While the taquitos are baking, cut 2 avocados in half, take out the pit, and use a spoon to scoop the flesh into a bowl. Sprinkle the avocados with the juice of half of a lemon, then mash them with a fork. Add the remaining RO*TEL, and then salt to taste.
Cut the taquitos diagonally in half and place them on a plate with a bowl of the prepared guacamole. Dig in and enjoy!!! Be sure to pick up your cans of RO*TEL to make game day a big hit!
Zesty Baked Chicken Taquitos
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken (I used rotisserie chicken)
- 4 oz cream cheese (I used Neufchatel)
- 1/3 cup RO*TEL drained from a 10oz can; save the extra for the guacamole recipe below
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher or sea salt (plus extra to sprinkle on top of the taquitos)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used a cheddar mozzarella blend, but monterey jack would be good too)
- 8 to 10 taco sized flour toritllas
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (for brushing the foil and taquitos)
- 2 medium sized ripe avocados
- juice from half of a lemon (approximately 2 Tbsp)
- remaining RO*TEL unused from the chicken taquito mixture (about 3/4 cup)
- salt to taste
- Cover a baking sheet with foil and grease it with cooking spray or brush it with some olive oil. Set it aside.
- In a bowl, mix the chicken, cream cheese, RO*TEL, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and shredded cheese with a fork.
- Heat up a package of taco sized flour tortillas in the microwave for 30 seconds, to warm the tortillas and make them easy to roll, and to help prevent them from cracking.
- Spoon some of the chicken mixture across the width of the center portion of the tortilla. Fold the bottom half of the tortilla over the chicken mixture and roll the tortilla tightly. Place the taquito seam side down onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining chicken and tortillas.
- Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes. Flip them over, and bake 5 minutes more, so both sides get crispy and lightly browned.
- While the taquitos are baking, cut 2 avocados in half, take out the pit, and use a spoon to scoop the flesh into a bowl. Sprinkle the avocados with the juice of half of a lemon, then mash them with a fork. Add the remaining RO*TEL, and then salt to taste.
- Cut the taquitos diagonally in half and place them on a plate with a bowl of the prepared guacamole. Dig in and enjoy!!!