There is just something about homestyle dishes like this one that makes me hungry! One pot meals & casseroles have got it going on! Everything you need in one place, ready to warm your belly. I have never actually made a skillet dish like this before, where you cook the biscuit on top of the mixture on the stovetop instead of in the oven. This dinner is a lot like my Chicken Pot Pie Crumble, but with that soft biscuit dumpling on top & slightly different flavors. I was all nervous about the biscuit cooking all the way through, but it did just fine! I do like the addition of the cream cheese & green onions in this one too. It's a fall meal that is simple & delicious! Enjoy!
Recipe lightly altered from Kraft Recipes by: Amber (Dessert Now, Dinner Later!)
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- 1 (14oz) can reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 oz neufchatel cream cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 (16oz) package frozen peas & carrots
- 1 cup all-purpose baking mix or Homemade (I used this recipe)
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 Tbsp grated or shredded parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large deep skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken, salt, pepper, onion powder, & garlic. Cook & stir 4 minutes until the chicken is no longer pink. Transfer to bowl.
- Add broth gradually to flour in small bowl, whisking constantly until blended. Add to skillet; cook & stir on medium heat 2 minutes or until thickened. Add cream cheese & green onions. Cook & stir 3 minutes or until melted. Stir in chicken & frozen vegetables. Heat to a light simmer.
- Stir baking mix, sour cream & milk just until baking mix is moistened. Spoon into 6 or 7 mounds over the mixture in the skillet. Cook on medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Cover skillet & cook on low for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in dumplings comes out clean. Top with parmesan.