Broccoli Cheese Chowder
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
Fall = Soup, Stew, Chili, or Chowder. I love that soups are one pot, belly-warming dinners that come together in like 30 minutes. This one is nice & thick & filling.
I made my favorite Garlic Cheese Biscuits to eat with these b/c they are fast to put together & they tasted great with the chowder. I like this chowder pureed too b/c it sneaks veggies in my kids where most of the time they don’t touch them.
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 can evaporated milk (equals 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a pot over medium heat, then add onions. Cook onions for 3-4 minutes, then add flour. Stir to combine & cook for 1 minute. Pour in skim & evaporated milks. Add nutmeg, broccoli, & a small dash of salt, & plenty of black pepper.
- Cover & reduce heat to low. Simmer 20-30 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender. Stir in cheese & allow to melt. Taste & adjust seasonings if needed.
- Puree mixture in a blender (dividing mixture in half depending on the size of the blender.) Return to pot over stove, if needed, for re-heating. Serve with a sprinkle of cheese.
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g