This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
This lasagna soup, is thick, creamy, and with the sausage and fennel, tastes just like a meat lasagna!
If you put one soup on your “make soon” list, make it be this one! I have seen variations of this recipe all over pinterest, but I searched out something that I could tell was going to be good, and easy, and this is it!
This lasagna soup, is thick, creamy, and with the sausage and fennel, tastes just like a meat lasagna! I inhaled mine and wished I would have eaten a bit slower. It was SO good!
Another thing I love about this soup is that it’s fast to make! This one is just over 30 minutes to prepare, which isn’t quite under half an hour, but it has very simple steps to make it. Plus, the longer you simmer a soup, the more flavor you get! It’s true!
This Lasagna Soup is super hearty and definitely warming for those cold weather months! If you like soup as much as I do, make sure to add this to your menu rotation!
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 1/2 tsp fennel
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic (about 3 garlic cloves)
- 4 cups (or 1 quart) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 4 lasagna noodles, broken
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (or 3 Tbsp Gourmet Garden Basil Paste)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, cook sausage, fennel, onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Heat until sausage is fully cooked and vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Drain any fat and wipe out the pot with a paper towel; if the fat won't drip off, I place the meat in a bowl with a paper towel underneath and on top, to soak up the grease.
- Return meat mixture to the pot and add the chicken broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, salt, and crushed red pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes with the lid on.
- Add broken pieces of lasagna noodles, bring to a boil, and cook 10 to 12 minutes; until tender.
- Remove from heat, and add basil, parmesan, and mozzarella cheeses. Stir until cheese melts. Serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g