Since we had our dessert in yesterday’s post, here is part two: the Dinner Later version of my Valentine’s Date Night idea.
This dish is inspired by another of my Olive Garden favorites: Steak Gorgonzola Alfredo. I love the combination of steak, creamy sauce, & zesty balsamic glaze. Perfection! My hubby & I have made this the past couple of Valentine’s Days & any other time we want a “fancier” type meal. The way I’ve re-done the recipe has made it healthier, but keeping lots of flavor. This dish is one to impress with, so I hope you consider it for your romantic day.
Steak & Garlic Parmesan Linguini
- 1 1/2 lbs eye of round steaks (about four 1 1/2" steaks)
- 1.5 cups Italian dressing
- 1 Tbsp chopped rosemary
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp COLD water
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 4oz Neufchatel Cream Cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups spinach, chopped or chiffonade
- 1/3 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/2-3/4 (13.25oz) box of whole wheat linguini
- STEAK: Combine Italian dressing, rosemary, & lemon juice. Marinade steaks in mixture overnight in a Ziploc bag. (Can marinade 1 hour if desired, but we like to do it overnight.)
- Grill steaks when your pasta & sauces are just about done: Remove steaks from marinade & grill according to desired doneness. Let rest a few minutes before slicing & placing on pasta.
- BALSAMIC GLAZE: In a small saucepan heat balsamic vinegar, ½ cup water, & brown sugar until boiling. Whisk 1 Tbsp cold water & cornstarch in a small bowl to make a slurry. Once balsamic mixture is boiling add slurry & whisk until it's thick & glossy. Hold glaze on low temperature until ready to serve with steak & pasta.
- ALFREDO: Make alfredo sauce by melting butter & sauteing garlic for about 30 seconds. Add flour, salt & pepper, to make a roux. Gradually whisk in milk. Let heat until boiling & thickens slightly. Remove from heat & add cream cheese & grated parmesan. Stir until cheese melts & let stand. Will thicken as it cool slightly. (*If you want to cheat & buy store bought alfredo, I find adding extra garlic, salt & pepper, makes it taste better & then you can just add the greens.)
- In a separate pot, boil enough water for the pasta. Cook pasta until al dente. once pasta is cooked, add spinach & green onions to the alfredo sauce. Toss pasta with sauce.
- ASSEMBLE: Place desired amount of pasta with sauce on the center of a plate.
- Slice steak & fan over the top of the pasta.
- Drizzle balsamic glaze on top & sprinkle with extra shredded parmesan.
- Top with extra chopped green onions.
- Enjoy with a side salad, breadsticks, & a bubbly drink!
© DESSERT NOW DINNER LATER All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-create the recipe, snap YOUR OWN PHOTO and re-write the recipe in YOUR OWN WORDS, or link back to this post for the recipe.