Quick Sausage Jambalaya
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
When my husband & I were first married we ate a lot of, dare I say, box dinners! Yikes, I know. Well, they were quick fixes after a long day of school & work for the both of us. We loved the Zatarain’s Jambalaya, but haven’t had it in forever & recently when my husband asked me to make some jambalaya, I figured now was a good time to make the dish homemade.
After looking at several different recipes, this is the version I have come up with. We LOVED it! My husband even said it was better than the box! I sure hope so! Haha! It has a good heat to it & loads of flavor. And honestly this recipe is pretty quick to throw together. Probably the same time as the box, but way fresher & better! This is definitely taking place of the box dinner.
Side note: My Dad is from Louisiana, & said it tasted pretty good! I guess that means it’s legit. A little spicy for our little kids, but a little ranch or sour cream remedies that just fine. Enjoy!
Quick Sausage Jambalaya
- 1 (13oz) pkg chicken sausage/kielbasa cut into pieces
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1-14.5 oz can small diced tomatoes, whole/undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth (or 1 cup water + 1 tsp bouillon)
- 1 1/2 cups Minute Rice (white or brown)
- 1 Tbsp Canola Oil
- In a large skillet with a small amount of oil, brown sausage.
- Add onion, pepper, & garlic to the sausage & saute for 5 minutes until softening & starting to get translucent.
- Add spices all at once. Stir until fragrant (30 seconds.)
- Add the whole can of tomatoes, broth & rice. Bring to a boil. Cover & simmer 7-10 minutes or until the rice is cooked & most of the liquid is absorbed. Serve hot & enjoy!
2 Comments on “Quick Sausage Jambalaya”
I’ve never made jumbalaya before, it looks yummy.
Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
Thanks so much for linking this yummy looking recipe up to Creative Thursday this week. I can’t wait to see what you link up next week. Have a wonderful weekend.