This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
Today I am taking that boring old spaghetti dinner up a notch! This Confetti Spaghetti has onions, peppers, and tomatoes for a pop of “confetti”, plus it’s got a tiny zesty zip from the spices. It’s simple to prepare, hearty and filling for the whole family to enjoy.
I really haven’t tasted anything like this spaghetti. I get stuck in the, dare I say it, Prego sauce and noodles rut. But, honestly, the Prego Spicy Sausage sauce is my favorite, I’ll admit it! I also really love the Bacon & Provolone which is a little less of a classic Italian marinara. Anyway, for a homemade sauce, this one has that after effect of heat and flavor. It’s different than your typical Italian red sauce and I like it. So if you want to go beyond the bottle and try a homemade spaghetti recipe, this one is yummy!
Are you a jarred spaghetti sauce type person or you do have a favorite recipe you like to make?
- 1 (12oz) package whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8oz) can tomato sauce (use 2 cans for a little more sauce)
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef, garlic, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is not longer pink; drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, brown sugar, salt, chili powder, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne.
- Drain spaghetti; add to the beef mixture. Toss to coat the noodles.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-inch baking dish. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
- Uncover sprinkle with cheese, Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g