I have seen so many recipes around using quinoa & I have been interested in trying it. I decided on this recipe & I think it turned out quite nice. The quinoa pilaf had a nice savory flavor, & provided a fluffy texture to the dish. The peppers & sausage were out of this world flavorful! That was my favorite part of the dish. I will be trying quinoa again. It is different than anything I have ever had, so I need to experiment more to see how I like it best. Overall, a really nice healthy & filling dish. I kept looking at my husband saying, “I am so full!” I didn’t even eat a huge portion & I was stuffed. Must have been all the protein from the quinoa.
Roasted Peppers & Sausage on Quinoa Pilaf
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup broken vermicelli
- 1/4 medium onion, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, *rinsed (check your label as to whether or not your quinoa has been pre-rinsed of not)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 medium onion, julienned
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3 bell peppers julienned: 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 green
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1-4 pk package Johnsonville Chicken Sausage Chipotle Monterey Jack cheese (cut into 3/4-inch pieces sliced on a bias)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Make the quinoa by heating a medium sauce pot over moderate heat & melting butter. Add vermicelli & cook, stirring often, until pasta has turned golden brown. Add onion & season with salt. Continue cooking a few more minutes until onion is soft & begins to turn golden.
- Add 3 cups chicken stock & bring to a boil; add quinoa. Return to a boil, then reduce to a simmer & cook, covered 20-30 minutes or until the grains are soft in the center.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add sausage slices; cook until browned. Add julienned onions & garlic & saute an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until edges of onions begin to turn golden color.
- Add paprika & cumin & cook 1 minute. Add julienned peppers, & ½ cup chicken broth & cook 10-15 minutes or until mixture thickens. Adjust with salt & pepper.
- To serve: Make a bed of pilaf & top with pepper & sausage mixture.