Sausage & Tomato Tortellini Soup
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
I was really in the mood for soup, even though we are in the scorching heat of the summer. Thank goodness this recipe only takes like 10 minutes to put together by the stove. The broth is creamy & the spices are perfectly married. The tortellini & sausage add a nice chewy texture in the cheesy tomato & cream broth.
I cannot wait to make this again, this soup is going to be my staple dinner for this fall! But why wait? Try this today!!!
- 1/2 lb reduced fat sausage (Italian flavor is preferred)
- 1 (10.75oz) can tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 (14.5oz) can petite diced tomatoes & onions (or just tomatoes)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 (19oz) pkg frozen cheese tortellini (for a more liquidy soup, only add half the package of tortellini; if you like your soup with lots of texture [chunky] & less broth, add the whole bag)
- In a large stock pot, brown sausage & drain any fat. Return sausage to pan. (My reduced fat sausage didn't need draining, there was very little fat in the pot.)
- Add tomato soup, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, milk, half & half, & spices. Heat until a light simmer. (You are basically just heating up the mixture.)
- Meanwhile in a separate medium saucepan, bring some water to a boil. Cook tortellini 2-3 minutes or until directed on the package. Drain.
- Add cooked tortellini to the soup. Add parmesan cheese. Stir to combine. Serve hot with extra shredded parmesan cheese on top & garlic bread on the side (optional.)