I am a soup lady. Like really. I could eat it all year round. It’s just so comforting & delicious and most soups are really easy to put together. Since Fall is officially here, I have been trying several new soups & this is one of them. I usually stick to the cream based soups, because let’s be honest, cream makes everything better! Haha. Although this soup has no cream, it’s still full of flavor & really simple to make. My kids liked mopping up the soup with their bread the best. If you like broth based soups, tomatoes, & beans, then this is your soup.
Tuscan Sausage & Bean Soup with Parmesan Toasts
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound smoked turkey or chicken sausage, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 1/4 cups chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 (14.5oz) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sage
- 1 (15.5oz) can great northern beans, undrained
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 12 slices 1/2-inch thick baguette, cut diagonally
- In a 6-quart stock pot, heat the oil & saute the sausage over medium heat. Cook sausage until heated through, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove sausage, set aside, & add the onion to the pan. Saute until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic & cook 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, pepper & sage. Cook 10 minutes.
- Add the whole can of beans (liquid & all) & the cooked sausage to the pot. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat & cook 1 minute. Reduce heat to low & simmer 10 minutes more.
- Heat broler. Mound 2 teaspoons parmesan cheese on each bread slice & place on baking sheet. Broil until cheese & bread are lightly toasted, about 1 to 2 minutes. Serve toasts with soup.