What is Apple Slab Pie? Well, it’s apple pie in bar form that makes this dessert great for large groups & potlucks! You get way more servings than the traditional pie dish & it’s got this great glaze over the top! The crust is so flaky! This recipe also has a little secret…the secret to no runny filling. Want to know what it is? Panko breadcrumbs! You spread a layer over the bottom crust & then put your filling in & it absorbs any liquid, so when you cut & serve these apple pie squares, there is no soggy crust or drippy filling! Win-win!
Apple Slab Pie
- 1 1/2 cups butter flavored Crisco shortening
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 whole egg
- 5 Tbsp cold ice water
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 cups Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored, & sliced (about 6-8 apples depending on size))
- 6 Tbsp sugar, increase sugar depending on how tart your apples are
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs (or other coarse dry bread crumbs; or 1 cup coarsely crushed cornflakes)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- small pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp milk or cream, optional, if necessary to thin the glaze (*substitute 1/3 cup honey OR 1/4 cup thawed frozen apple juice concentrate or maple syrup)
- To make crust: In a large bowl, with a pastry cutter gradually work the Crisco into the flour until it resembles a coarse meal. In a small bowl, beat an egg with a fork & pour it into the flour/shortening mixture. Add cold ice water, white vinegar, & salt. Stir together until all ingredients are incorporated. (I had to add extra flour b/c it was very wet; if you need to add flour do ¼ cup at a time, until it comes together.)
- Separate dough into 2 pieces 60% by 40%. You need one slightly bigger than the other. Shape into rectangles & wrap in plastic wrap. Place in freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling by peeling, coring, & slicing apples. After apples are ready, sprinkle sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, & cornstarch. Toss to coat. Let macerate at room temperature while you clean up.
- Preheat the oven to 350*F. Pull the larger piece of pie dough out of the freezer. Roll into a 11x15" rectangle. Place the crust in an un-greased 9x13" pan. Patch up any holes by pushing the pastry together with your fingers. Push the pastry up the sides of the pan a bit, to make a shallow pastry container for the apples.
- Spread bread crumbs or crushed cornflakes evenly over the crust. Spread the sliced apples atop the crumbs.
- Remove the smaller crust from the freezer. Roll into a 9x13" rectangle. Lay the top crust over the apples. Seal the edges of the two crusts as well as you can.
- Bake for one hour until crust is golden brown, & filling bubbles. Remove from oven & allow to cool completely before glazing.
- To make the glaze: Combine the powdered sugar, apple cider, cinnamon, salt & enough milk or cream to make the mixture pourable, but thick. Add milk/cream a little at a time b/c it is easier to add more than to try to take it away. Drizzle the glaze over the apple slab pie.
© DESSERT NOW DINNER LATER All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-create the recipe, snap YOUR OWN PHOTO and re-write the recipe in YOUR OWN WORDS, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Recipe adapted from King Arthur Flour & Pioneer Woman