Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting is light and creamy with fresh lemon flavor. It’s slightly tangy and not overly sweet. Perfect for piping or decorating cupcakes and cakes.
There’s nothing like bright spring flavors to get you out of a winter funk. Lemons are fresh, bright, and zesty. Their yellow color is so sunshiny and happy. They are sure to pucker up your mouth and your mood.
LEMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
This lemon cream cheese frosting is a variation from my BEST cream cheese frosting recipe with lemon zest, extract, and juice to bring out that bright, fresh flavor.
This recipe has a good ratio of cream cheese to butter (2:1) for stability, and very little powdered sugar so the cream cheese and lemon flavors come through.
Lemon pairs well with any berry (strawberry, blueberry, raspberry) so switch up the flavors of cake or use this frosting on something as simple as vanilla cupcakes. You’re going to love it!
MORE CREAM CHEESE FROSTINGS:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cold
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp pure lemon extract
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Place cream cheese in a large mixing bowl.
- Use an electric hand mixer to beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Gradually add the butter 2 Tablespoons at a time, and continue beating until smooth and well blended.
- Add the lemon zest, extract, juice, and powdered sugar all at once. Blend until combined and smooth. Spread or pipe over cakes/cupcakes.
- Yield: 1 1/2 cups frosting, which will frost about 12-15 cupcakes.
- I typically use Neufchatel cream cheese for this frosting. And yes, I use it COLD, straight from the fridge, to keep the frosting stiff.
- You may use salted or unsalted butter, depending on your preference.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.