Apple Cinnamon Muffins
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning that I may receive a commission at no cost to you if you use a link provided. All opinions shared are my own. You can review my full disclosure policy here.
This recipe for Apple Cinnamon Muffins is delicious! Fluffy muffins full of fresh apples and plenty of cinnamon with a crumb topping.
Fall and apples go hand-in-hand. Just like apples other BFF — cinnamon. That apple-cinnamon duo makes a great team!
The best part about this apple cinnamon muffins recipe is that you probably have most of what you need in your pantry and refrigerator. To make these muffins you will need:
- all-purpose flour
- ground cinnamon
- baking powder
- granulated sugar
- oil (canola or vegetable)
- applesauce (can substitute with additional oil and milk)
The crumb topping is the icing on the cake, but if you like your muffins less sweet, feel free to leave it off. For the crumb topping you will need:
- all-purpose flour
- brown sugar
- ground cinnamon
How To Make Apple Cinnamon Muffins
The apple cinnamon muffin batter is quick to make. Fix the crumb topping first by rubbing the ingredients together with your fingers until sandy, and starting to clump together. Set it aside.
Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl, and the wet ingredients together in another bowl. Then combine them together until just incorporated.
Scoop the batter into paper lined muffin tins 2/3 full. A #24 scoop is my favorite for muffins and cupcakes.
Then sprinkle with the prepared streusel before placing the pan of apple crumb muffins in the oven.
Bake until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
Allow the muffins to cool completely on a rack. You can of course eat them warm. The crumb topping will be crunchy fresh from the oven and soften as it cools.
Which apples are best for baking?
Any crisp apple should hold up well when baking. Granny Smith, Jonagold, Honey Crisp, Braeburn, Pink Lady, Gala, or Fuji are all great picks.
Avoid the “Delicious” (golden and red) and McIntosh apples like the plague.
More Apple Cinnamon Recipes To Try
- Apple Monkey Bread
- Apple Pie Filling
- Apple Crisp Recipe
- Apple Crumble Bars
- Dutch Apple Pie Recipe
- Apple Fritters using canned pie filling
- Homemade Apple Pie Recipe
- Apple Streusel Cheesecake
- 2 Tbsp butter, cold
- 4-5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (stir, spoon, & level)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup oil (canola or vegetable)
- 1/4 cup applesauce*
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup diced apple*; peeled, cored, and diced small (about 1 large or 2 small apples)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line muffin tin(s) with paper liners. Peel, core, and dice apple(s). Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the streusel ingredients, starting with 4 Tbsp of flour. Rub together with fingers. When mixture is sandy and starting to clump together, stop mixing and place in fridge until needed. If it feels too wet and clumpy, mix in an additional Tablespoon of flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together both sugars, with the oil, applesauce, and milk. Add the eggs one at a time whisking well after each one. Add vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Add the diced apples and flour mixture. Stir until just incorporated.
- Scoop batter 2/3 full (with a #24 scoop) into the prepared pan(s); about 15 muffins. Do not over-fill. Sprinkle the tops with prepared streusel.
- Bake at 400˚F for 14-16 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Do not over-bake. Remove muffins from pan and cool on a wire rack. Store muffins in an airtight container at room temperature up to 5 days.
- APPLESAUCE: In place of applesauce, do 2 Tablespoons more oil and milk, each. (To equal 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp [each] oil and milk.) OR You can do 1/2 cup applesauce and no oil, for a slightly healthier, but denser cake.
- APPLES: Use any crisp apple: Granny Smith, Honey Crisp, Pink Lady, Gala, Fuji.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 153mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 3g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix, and is an estimation only.